Mindfulness is about understanding what is happening in the present moment.
More formally, mindfulness is the awareness that arises when we bring our attention to our present moment experience with a sense of openness, receptivity, and gentle curiosity.
Mindfulness is both an inherent capacity we each possess and an informed means of mental training we can practice to further develop our capacity of mindfulness.
Mindfulness supports our ability to notice and recognize with greater completeness and clarity our present moment inner and outer experiences, and how our inner and outer experiences interrelate and interact.
As our mindfulness develops, we expand our opportunities for insight and understanding, for learning and growth, in turn empowering our choices and actions with greater knowledge, wisdom, and intentionality.
Mindfulness can be systematically cultivated and developed through specific exercises, training the mind in a similar way to training the body in the gym. With practice, mindfulness broadens, deepens and becomes more easily sustainable. Consequently, the benefits of mindfulness become even more accessible to us.
Benefits of Mindfulness
Mindfulness can benefit the way we think, feel, act, and relate to others.
Practicing mindfulness supports our ability to:
- Maintain or return to present moment awareness
- Recognize and understand more fully what is at play
- Remember what we know and truly value, align with personally held goals and intentions, and
- Respond with wisdom and skill rather than react from habit, emotion, or impulsivity
Scientific research indicates that mindfulness is associated with multiple benefits that cluster into four main clusters: cognition, emotions, physiology and behavior. Each area then ripples out into every aspect of our lives.
Mindfulness is associated with:
- Enhanced concentration & attention
- Mental clarity
- Improved emotion regulation & emotional intelligence
- Increased self-awareness
- Improved cognitive functioning & decision making
- Better memory functioning
- More accurate intuition or gut instinct
- Greater resilience
- Reduced stress, increased stress tolerance
- Greater creativity & innovative thinking
- Improved relational & communication skills
- Lower feelings of distress, depression & anxiety
- Reduced worry & rumination
- Increased positive mood
- Improved sleep
- Increased life satisfaction & quality of life
- Increased workplace performance
- Improved leadership skills